Photo Credit: Brian Teutsch (creative commons license)
Top 10 reasons to move to Chicago:
1) To shop at the many farmer's markets.
2) To drive less--call me a masochist, but I love public transportation.
3) To eat elk poutine at The Gage as often as possible (That one's for Mike. Mostly).
4) To soak up the Obama mystique.
5) To wear layers! (You can only make so many style statements with tank tops and shorts)
6) To live near a big airport with direct flights going virtually everywhere.
7) To eat at The Bristol and Mercat a la Planxa at will.
8) To buy truffles at Ethel's Chocolate.
9) To have a Ferris Bueller moment at the Art Institute whenever I feel like it.
10) To live in an apartment that allows pets (I'm getting a pug!)
Can you guess why I made that (highly subjective) top 10 list? We're moving to Chicago! If you've ever noticed the subtle jabs I take at Fort Lauderdale occasionally, you'll know that I am very, very happy about this. I love living in big cities. We're not exactly in rural Florida down here, but it's just never felt right for me. Chicago, on the other hand, is an incredible food town (see #s 1, 3, 7 and 8 above)...we can't wait!
So what does this have to do with cookbooks? I'm hoping to be in a yet-to-be-found new apartment by the Fourth of July, but until then life will be full of crazy moving fun. That means less time to cook and occasionally a lot less kitchen. But I'll still have time to blog, making it the perfect opportunity to thank all of you by giving away some recently released cookbooks.
A new prize will be up for grabs each week. All you have to do is leave a comment on the post announcing the giveaway. At the end of the week, I'll use the random integer generator to pick a number, which will correspond to a specific comment. I'll email the winner and send your book as soon as possible. I will probably manage to post a recipe or two this month, as well. At least I hope so! Either way, giving away cookbooks keeps me in touch with you guys and lets me show my appreciation to everyone for reading!
I'm going to announce a new prize every Monday, except for this week when I'll post it on Tuesday. So check back tomorrow (or anytime before Sunday) to see what's up for grabs this week and to enter by leaving a comment. If you receive posts by email, simply scroll to the bottom and click on "comments" to get straight to the comment section on aminglingoftastes.com.
And in the meantime, who lives in Chicago? Any advice? Once we get settled, I'd love to meet up. Perhaps you will give me a tour of your favorite ethnic market/gourmet shop/wine shop/coffee shop (yes, I'm dying to know all your local foodie secrets). Drop me a line at aminglingoftastes AT gmail DOT com.